Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ideas for teaching all grades

My biggest concern in teaching is getting moved around between grades.  To start in kindergarten, then get moved to 5th grade the next year...somewhat terrifying!  Sometimes we get stuck thinking that what works in kindergarten won't work in 5th grade.  However, I was reading a blog written by a teacher from Texas whose main focus is reading and ESL.  It is called, Cardigans & Curriculum.  What I have understood from a few of her posts is that she began teaching in the primary grades, and is now a 5th grade teacher.  In February, she posted "What's New in Room 410."  In this post, she expressed her love for the Daily 5 groups in the younger grades, and how she wanted to find a way to bring it in to her less spacious 5th grade room.  She explained the process of which she made it work, and now her 5th graders love it!  What I liked best about this post is that it goes along with what I have previously posted about keeping the hands-on activities and mobility in the classroom throughout all grades.  This teacher knows the importance of students working together, individually, in groups, and especially getting individualized instruction with the teacher.  She made it happen even in the 5th grade, by modifying the strategy she used in the primary grades. 

Aside from "What's New in Room 410," she posts about the science projects they do in the room, different ways she teaches concepts like, sensory speech and foreshadowing.  I really loved reading her blog posts because they are positive and some focus on what makes her happy about being a teacher, as well as what makes her happy in her life outside of the classroom.

You should definitely visit this blog:
http://cardigansandcurriculum.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment